For many individuals, hair loss can be a significant concern, affecting both appearance and quality of life. While there are several options for addressing this issue, Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) is one that many people consider. FUE is a type of hair transplant that offers a less invasive approach to restoring hair density.
At Global Center for Hair Restoration, we specialize in FUE hair transplants, including the use of the advanced ARTAS® technology. This method is designed for long-lasting and seamless results. Whether you’re wondering about the longevity of FUE transplants or considering it as one of your options, we would love to provide you with all the information you need for an informed decision.
What Is a Hair Transplant?
A FUE hair transplant is a medical technique designed to restore hair in areas where thinning or balding has occurred. By extracting hair follicles from donor areas, usually the back or sides of the head, and transferring them to the recipient sites, this approach aims to provide a fuller appearance. It’s an option that many people consider after trying other, less invasive methods of hair restoration like medications or laser treatments.
How Does a Hair Transplant Work?
The hair transplant process starts with a detailed consultation to assess the state of your hair loss and the availability of donor hair. During the treatment, hair follicles are individually or collectively extracted from the chosen donor area, depending on the technique. These are then carefully placed into the thinning or balding areas of your scalp. The key to the process’s success lies in the precision of the extraction and implantation, which contributes to how natural the new growth appears.
What Is ARTAS?
ARTAS is a system that employs robotic technology for FUE hair restoration. Combining artificial intelligence (AI) and image-guided robotics, ARTAS offers a level of precision that can enhance the overall appearance of your hair. The system aims to offer a natural look by precisely identifying which hair follicles would be best for transplantation.
What Is the ARTAS Process?
The ARTAS® hair transplant procedure starts with planning your hairline using 3D imaging technology. After the planning stage, the system’s high-definition vision and robotic arm are brought into play. With the help of algorithms rooted in AI, ARTAS® picks out the most suitable hair follicles for the transplant. The robotic arm then goes to work, harvesting these follicles with an aim for accuracy that preserves the natural appearance of both the donor and recipient areas.
What Sets ARTAS Apart?
- Natural Outcomes: ARTAS aims for results that blend seamlessly with your existing hair, beginning to show noticeably fuller growth around the six-month mark.
- Reduced Scarring: Unlike traditional methods, the technology used in ARTAS avoids the use of scalpels, stitches, or staples, which can lead to linear scarring.
- Efficiency: The use of robotics not only aims for precision but also speeds up the entire process, making it a faster option compared to more manual methods of hair transplantation.
Is FUE a Permanent Solution?
Understanding Hair Follicle Longevity
In an FUE hair transplant, follicles are generally harvested from areas of the scalp less susceptible to hair loss, such as the back or sides of the head. These follicles are chosen specifically for their resilience against hormonal changes that commonly lead to hair thinning or loss, making them ideal candidates for transplantation.
Transplanted hair is different from the hair naturally growing in areas prone to thinning or loss. It can be more resistant to the common factors leading to hair loss due to their origins from more robust areas of the scalp. Because of this, hair transplant surgery and FUE transplant can be a long-lasting solution.
Ongoing Hair Loss in Untreated Areas
While the transplanted hair may be resilient, that’s not necessarily the case for existing hair in untreated areas. As you age, you might experience further hair loss in susceptible areas, which could affect the overall appearance and fullness of your hair. We may recommend additional treatments to strengthen existing follicles to help prevent further problems. Some people also opt for additional ARTAS procedures for further hair loss.
Factors That May Affect Permanence
Several individual circumstances can impact the long-term success of a hair transplant procedure. Factors such as age, hormonal shifts, and certain medications could all potentially influence the longevity of your transplant, making it essential to consult with a medical professional for a tailored treatment plan.
Determining Whether You Are a Good Candidate
- Assessing the Extent of Hair Loss: The first step in considering an FUE hair transplant is to gauge the level of your hair loss. This assessment helps determine the likely effectiveness of the treatment.
- Quality and Availability of Donor Hair: The success of a hair transplant is largely dependent on the quality and amount of donor hair available. You’ll need to have sufficient, healthy hair at the back or sides of your head to proceed with the transplant.
- Medical History and Current Medications: Before undergoing hair transplant surgery, it’s essential to review your medical history and current medications. Certain conditions or medications may affect the success rate of the transplant.
- Financial and Time Commitment: An FUE transplant demands a financial and time commitment. Be prepared for the costs of the procedure itself as well as the time needed for post-operative care.
Restore Your Hair With ARTAS
Deciding to undergo a hair transplant is a multifaceted decision, but for many, it can provide long-lasting improvement. At Global Center for Hair Restoration, we can guide you through the different factors that can affect your decision. Serving Nashville, TN, we offer a consultative approach to address all your questions and concerns.